Search This Blog

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Real Cyclists Shave Their Legs - How Real Am I?

Installment number one in what I suspect may be my default blog topic when no other inspiration strikes: educating the unwitting with regard to the nifty minutiae of all things multisport.















If you watched the Tour de France you may have noticed the riders all seem to be skinny, sweaty, shiny, hairless wonders with names like Santiago or Thor. Male hairless wonders, that is.

Eyeball a local group of amateur "cycling enthusiasts" aka road bikers or "roadies" and you'll notice that not only do they wear the goofy colorful spandex and lycra donned by the pros, they also tend toward hairlessness.
Why? You might ask (or you might not). I've asked, and yes, I've gone beyond just asking, and then I've asked again - why? And, where, exactly does one start and... stop ... fear not, I ain't goin' there in this piece.

As with the lycra and other gear there are reasons, always. Some more legit than others.

Ask a roadie and the first reason given will most likely be that if skin ever meets asphalt, shaved legs make for a smoother slide and less damage or "road rash," and it's easier to clean up, less likely to get infected and quicker to heal. Reason number two is usually that it makes for better massages, again, no pulling of the hair. Reason number three, perhaps the real reason, is that it looks good, or so the shaver thinks. And there are other more subtle, more insider reasons.

Shaved legs says: I am an accomplished rider, I ride hard and I ride fast. I know what I am doing, do not mess with me. It also suggests the rider can be trusted to adhere to the courtesies of roadie riding, maintaining a good line, cornering well, pointing out potholes to those behind, no sudden braking, etc.

Going the hirsute route on the other hand may get you dissed. You may receive an occasional snarky remark. "Hey, you know a fur coat will really keep you warm." But, as a long time sasquatch, I can say this is rare and in fun when heard. Mostly, it will mean you are silently marked and watched with a slightly suspicious eye, maybe even given a wide berth. Not so bad.

As the top photo suggests I have in fact plunged into the shaved cyclist world. Due to the nature of the sport triathletes are all cyclists foremost, then runners and finally swimmers.

Well, post plunge observation: it helps to have a tan!
The foliage does a nice bit of masking fishbelly-white office legs. Hmmm... reason number four in favor of shaving: it's naturally reflective, a safety aid.

Finally, ladies, you have my sympathy. Shaving the legs is much more of a pain than a beard. And I've merely gone at it a couple times a week with an electric shaver.

I'll likely let it grow back before long. And enjoy the quiet satisfaction of leaving the hairless wonders in my fuzzy wake.

No comments: