I may resemble ol' Mr. P., but I'll no longer horde the serving bowl of the heavy white stuff. Really. I've switched from the white Russett to the orange Garnet. The sweet potato falls within my lazy but healthy guidelines.
I do looooove to eat but, no love for cooking. My oven is more storage space than anything else. Fortunately, someone else steps up to produce the occassional blueberry pie.
The "how to" is basic stuff, but I'll stretch it into a blog post.
Quick prep -> Just chop 'er up.

Easy - > Move circular slices from the cutting board to the steamer or tupperware. Beware, orange coloring may bleed out and tinge the steamer.Healthy -> beaucoup vitamins and minerals and the carbs are healthy. Loaded with antioxidants and all that.
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=64#summary

The orange flesh will eventually brown when exposed. Prevent this by storing the unused slices in a small tuperware container fillled with water and keep in the 'frig. Yeeesh, that sounds rather Martha Stewart-ish, eh?
I typically run the steamer every night for ~20-25mins.
- Carrots sticks go into the bin first
- then a few broccoli florets
- maybe some green beans
- some red and green pepper pieces
- perhaps some frozen peas and/or spinach and/or asparagus and/or brussel sprouts
- topped off with a number of sweet potato slices
Rinse plate and steamer. Done. Minimal clean up is key.
Gas: $2.07 on 11-30-05.

No comments:
Post a Comment