Search This Blog

Friday, November 14, 2008

Paper Chase

Quite an election night last week. OH? FL? NC? Cali, NM, Nevada… it was really happening. Everything glowing trippy with amazement, hope and possibility.

In Scottsdale, the old Mac was back. And Grant Park. Wow. President Obama. I soaked it all up with Lehrer, Shields & Brooks, Olbermann/Matthews and gang, a little Wolfie, along with On Politics blog and fivethirtyeight.com. Giddy to bed, looking forward to Wed. and drinking in all the morning after reactions.

Up and out to the pool for an early unscheduled bonus swim, topped off with some core work and weights. Vim and vigor. Jazzed. The sun brighter, the weights lighter. Ready to settle into a metro ride with my trusty Post, the staple of my morning routine, no doubt brimming with election content.

Not so fast. The paper boxes, all empty. Noooooo! 3 Post boxes, USAToday boxes, WSJ, NYT… all bare. F. Not even 8a yet. Must. Have. Paper. World, don't mess with my a.m. routine. Off to the 7-11 across the street. No luck. 2 corner boxes further past the sleven, bare. Rrraaaaargh. Gas station/convenience a block further, bare. 45mins later and another mile or two walked I'm boarding the train... paperless.

Later, word the Post was printing a second run of the front/news section to be available at 3p. Inky fingers on the home commute, woo-hoo! Well, no papers at 3. At 4 a line was forming. I grabbed some wallspace outside the CVS with like minded hopemongers. Chatted with a gal who canvassed for Obama in VA, celebrated late into election night outside the WH. Good stuff.

5 o'clock. Okay, screw an evening run. I'm pot committed. But only so much. Started to feel a little stupid the 15th time a passerby asks "why the line?" and I tell them for the Post. 6:15, I caved, headed home. Quick stop at a neighborhood store in the 'burbs. Nothing.

Still stoking some stubborn Thursday a.m., I rolled out a few mins earlier than usual for my swim group. Given the hours invested what's another few mins, eh? Bingo. The 2nd store I hit had a few special editions remaining. Notch a win for Team Stubborn. I bought a few, left some for fellow seekers.


If anyone would like one, let me know.


Or... get one from the Post directly (!) Yeah. Seems they have decided to print more and take orders. Hmmm, maybe move that W over to Team Stupid.

Anyway, I remain fired up, ready to go!





1 comment:

into my 60s said...

I loved it! You had me laughing out loud. Great video also. We had not seen that.