Search This Blog

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Peaks


The crust, the filling.... I'm drooling just remembering. I think there was a new berry in the mix, some marionberry to go along with the blueberry. Well done Mom. Quite the Father's Day baking. Not even the most scrutinous (?) of food critics could find room for improvement. Pie bakers 'round the world should hang up their aprons. Game over.

I fear it's here. The peak of the year, summit of summer. Savor it. I shall.

So far, for me:
  • a great Memorial Day weekend of racing the Triple T, checking that box on the life list of races;
  • early morning outdoor swims in 50m pool under the sunrise;
  • the Perfect Pie (above);
  • the 4th;
  • a blast of a race at Diamond in the Rough 7/11;
  • Le Tour!
  • staying just on the good side of the health/injury line (so far, knocking on formica); and
  • the annual combo of long days, warm temps, escaping to the AC, and summer popcorn flicks in chilly theatres.

But for lacking the Perfect Pie to cap the day, July 11th may have been the summer high point in a nutshell. Great weather + fun race in the morning + TDF mountains stage to watch in the evening.

The TDF is shaping up to be something special. High drama in Hi Def. Thank you Versus for the HD. Really brings out the visual beauty in the most beautiful sport in the world.

Flashback to May...

I survived the Triple T racing weekend at Shawnee State Park in Portsmouth, OH, just along the KY border. It was as billed - EPIC. Gas in OH on Memorial Day was $2.59, best price I saw for the cheap stuff. Too nuked and too busy eating/recoverying to take pics once the racing weekend commenced, these lame shots will have to do.


The gear, including the race jersey all participants were required to wear for every race.
Made for a nice army-of-triathletes kind of belonging feel, comraderie.



Transition area, empty, the day before the races started.
Swim course in the distance, and closer below.



Middlin results below. No bother. It was more about discovery - how my mind and body acted and reacted in tackling his beast - than competing against others. Highlight for me was finding my run legs ~4 miles into the half marathon on Sunday. I may go back and attempt to really "race" it with an eye on time.


Forward now 6 weeks to the present and the Diamond in the Rough Oly distance race in Perryville, MD just off 95 North of Baltimore. Swim (shorter than advertised, no way that was 1 mile) in the mouth of the Susquehanna River. Somewhat rolling bike course and flat run. A fun course.

And, a good opp to be a gear geek. The full wetsuit for the swim, and aero helmet, rear wheel cover, deep dish front aero wheel on the bike. ~80 and muggy - warm enough but not jungle oppressive. I decided to ride and run shirtless. You know, a little something for the ladies. Yes, I give back to the sport.

Started with a large wave of swimmers, good deal of body contact. Never got a good rythym. Had to give the Heisman to one stout swimmer that would not stop veering into me. About the same speed but with no compass, he earned a strong redirect shove after the 4th collision. He noticed me, finally, gave me an angry water logged "f#!k" but never broke his stroke. Good day sir.

As I am oh so familiar with, the slow swim has an upside - passing people all day once on land. That's fun. Pick a rabbit, catch it. Again, and again. Def helps keep the focus forward. As does fear of being caught by the stout swimmer.

Geek stuff in transition.

Sea of bikes. Love it.

Even with a crap swim this year on a shortened swim course, pretty nice splits compared to 2003. Older but not slower. I'll file that in the personal W column.

Race pics here, you'll find me toward the bottom of page 1.

Saw gas for $2.39 in Perryville. Paid $2.59 a day later in DC.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great update! Awesome race!!!