Riding lots in prep for the Gran Fondo. Last weekend: a loop out beyond Poolesville to Dickerson. Came back past Lewis Orchards. True country roads at times. No white or yellow lines. More horses than cars. The last of a four-day bike block.
Noteworthy for me - my longest ride in years, both by time and distance - and the fact that I expected to wilt significantly at some point. Only minor wiltage. (Win!)
98miles, 17.2 mph avg (those 38mph downhills sure help)
HR: max 163, avg 132
~3500cals
Didn't have a whole lot of zip after 6+ hrs, but not a complete puddle. Was surprised when I saw 98mi for the total. Did not feel like that, maybe 80. So... Why??
Was it the veggie and turkey combo burger the night before? The bike-aspargus-wine regimen at the Cape May training camp kicking in? Or, perhaps the numerous stops, lots of water, snacks, and then some more water, and conservative pacing. I've never come close to drinking so frequently and so much on a ride.
Food and water. Write that down.
Not a ton of climbing during the ride, but encouraging. Hope it's not a one-off.
Help me raise money to win the fight against melanoma. Ya know... if you're an outdoorsy type, I'd guess there's an excellent chance the research on melanoma will be used to help you or your outdoorsy friends. Maybe even save your life or limb.
To all those who have already donated - Thank you!

No comments:
Post a Comment