Search This Blog

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Battle of the Blossom Blogs

Blossoms in bloom. East Potomac Park, 7a.m.
Sunday 4-2-06.


Say that title 5 times fast.
We'll see who gets the Blossom blog up first. I've got the heathen slacker's advantage of no major committments this afternoon.

Dad & I ran the Cherry Blossom 10 miler this morning, with Mom there for support, cheering, pic duty, etc.

Gorgeous day. Perfect weather. 50-60F, sunny, light wind. The woman winner set a wordl record for outdoor 10 miles.

I rode my bike to the metro and metro'd down close to the start area. Was early so I stopped for a few pics out on the closed road area of East Potomac Park (above).

Locked the bike up and dropped gear at Mont Cnty Road Runners Club tent. Met Mom there, missed Dad as he had already reported to the start line for his primo invite coral (as in "the OK coral") spot near the front.

I was further back among the 10,000 runners lined up at the start. I must have slipped by him in the crowded miles early on, as I spied him later during the race just after the turn around near mile 7. Moving right along.

My right achilles/calf has been an issue with me since February. I had a great January & February, but then only got in 4-6 runs in all of March. Having paid for this race, I went out to just make it a training run, a very crowded, large group training run. Go eays, and be prepared to pull out at any point. It was a bit bothersome the first 4 miles, but wasn't getting worse, so I just kept running comfortably and it loosened up for the last 5 miles.

No trouble finding Mom after and regrouping. She finally did not have to suffer through a 35F windy, cloudy/rainy race day.


Back through the Park on my ride back to the metro. Could not resist another pic or two.


East Potomac Park, ~10:30a.m.
Blossoms looking fluffier?

1 comment:

J. Memmott said...

Great pics! You get the prize for the fastest detailed blog entry. And how did you get pics of the highway with no people anywhere?