Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Cali Trip Review (part 2 of 3)


More on my trip out to CA.

Remember:
Rule 1 - Pics, if you don't have 'em it didn't happen.
Rule 2 - Have pics will blog. And, I have oodles of pics, narrowed to a handful here.

Wed. 3-22
The evening was a trip up to The Pond (arena) in Anaheim, 30-40mins, to see the Anaheim Ducks skate against the Colorado Avalanche. Excellent seats not far from mid-ice, and only about 12 rows up. The game went into overtime. In OT the teams take a man off the ice to go to 4-on-4, which opens up the ice for more scoring chances. With the OT winding down and a shoot out coming up, the Ducks scored to take the win.


Thur. 3-23
Met up with a group of riders from Felt Bicycles. Felt HQ is in Lake Forest, a few miles from B's place and 1 block from the gym where she had me swimming for free all week. They invited me for a tour and then to join in on their lunch hour ride.
Pre ride, tour wrapped up, getting tips for my ride toward San Diego the next day.

I saw some of their cutting edge stuff for the '07 & '08. Pics were limited to the warehouse area, away from proprietary, top secret design prototypes and all that. I'm not enough of a bike tech geek/engineer to have known where to aim my corporate spy cam.
Post ride.
Hurry up and take the pic so we can get out of the sweaty gear!

Word is the big boys (fast dudes) could not escape for the noon ride. These fellas were plenty strong tho. I think they took it easy on me. I never got dropped or left behind.

The weather was great, B was working, so I went out for another 2+ hrs of riding. Went to the north end of Santiago Canyon and back through some scenic neighborhoods, stumbled on Irvine Regional Park which contains some kind of zoo, an equestrian area and a train station.
Looking North from the Santiago Cyn Rd.
Santa Anna Mtns faintly in the distance.


Random neighborhood peak, and Irvine Regional Park.


I also stopped by another triathlete online connection later in the p.m. The owner of Ladera Cyclery, Jeff, gifted me with enough nutrition for my ride south the following day: 2 water bottles, some healthy vegan peanut/choc snack cookies (excellent!), and some sport drink mix and gel (E-Fuel). His shop is just a few miles down the main drag B lives on, "Antonio."

Note - the main intersection near B's: Antonio & Banderas. Easy to remember.

1 comment:

into my 60s said...

Great photos. You look so comfortable in California...