Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Tour de Floyd

I visited the fairly well known DC bookstore Politics and Prose last night. First time I've been there. P-n-P hosts authors almost every night. The author speaks, entertains a few questions then shifts to a table to book signing. CSPAN is often present taping the event. Last night was a packed house for Floyd Landis, pitching his new book Positively False. All manner of cycling geeks - guys and gals, old and young, solid to skinny.


Floyd grew up in a Mennonite family in Pennsylvania. He won the Tour de France (TDF) last year but samples taken during the Tour indicated high levels testosterone. In particular, samples taken after he put out a legendary day of riding in the mountains to overcome a deficit previously assumed insurmountable.

He's lost his sponsors, is banned from pro racing and will officially loose his TDF crown absent a decision in his favor regarding his appeal. Decision expected shortly. Meanwhile, he's had previously planned surgery for a hip condition - which along with his Mennonite upbringing served as ready material for a personal backstory to his victory. He's now come out with the book and embarked on the Tour de Floyd to sell it and proclaim his innocence.

Is he a victim telling his story, or, just out to make as much dough as he can before he is formally cast as a doper and sees his income opportunities completely flushed? I don't know. Hard to get around the science. I bought a book and got it signed. Maybe I'm a sucker.

well, the gal behind me looked steady of hand,
sportin' a serious looking camera and multiple lenses

Floyd seemed down yo earth, intelligent, personable and pretty persuasive (and shorter than I expected, maybe 6'). No one had the guts (temerity?) to really grill him during the Q&A tho. He pretty much vaporized any schadenfreude sentiments. Too nice. Doper or not, I admit he is one of the strongest cyclists in the world.

No comments: